Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Quesadillas

It's surprising, looking back, how infrequently I have posted about quesadillas. They are one of my very favorite things to eat: more than sandwiches, definitely more than any kind of pasta, and almost more than pizza. Quesadillas are the perfect vehicle for almost any kind of food you want to eat. I have made barbecue quesadillas with pulled pork and mustard sauce and lobster quesadillas with crispy shallots and grilled corn; grilled zucchini and pepper quesadillas for my vegetarian friends, and sausage, pepperoni and pancetta quesadillas for my meat loving friends. 

Last night I decided to cook up a couple quesadillas for dinner and watch the Lakers-Kings game. (The games ain't what they used to be, but I still enjoy watching the Lakers beat the Kings. It's like watching Lucy pull the football away from Charlie Brown; I know what's coming, but that doesn't lessen my pleasure of it.) 

I chopped up a giant sweet onion and sauteed the pieces in the Le Creuset pot until they were nice and golden. Then I chopped up two jalapenos and added them. I spread the mix onto a couple of tortillas and added a few slices of goat cheese. I fired up the indoor grill so I could keep an eye on the basketball game.

The tortillas cooked a little more than five minutes on each side, then I took them off to rest. I threw together some sour cream and Louisiana hot sauce and added a dollop to each wedge of quesadilla. Predictably, I bit into them too soon, forgetting - as I always do - that melted goat cheese is only slightly cooler than molten steel. Thank God for the ice cold Dixie Beer.  

These were definitely some of the better quesadillas I have made, but they are by no means my best. Next time I think I will cook the onions in balsamic vinegar and see how that makes it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goat cheese. Good.
Hot goat cheese. Better.
Hot molten lava goat cheese. Best.
We covet this quesadilla....

JustinM said...

Next time will be better. I mentioned cooking the onions with some balsamic - a nice aged one would provide a wonderful sweetness to the quesadilla. And the sour cream sauce was just something I threw together to top the wedges with. In truth, it added nothing to the meal.

Susan C said...

I envy your indoor grill. It makes gorgeous quesadillas.

JustinM said...

Yeah, it's awesome for simple things like this when you don't want to fire up the outdoor grill. It's actually my dad's. He stopped needing it years ago so I took it. I doubt he remembers it. (Until he reads this, I guess.)