Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Trader Joe's Steamer Clams

The other day, Elizabeth mentioned to me that someone had told her about Trader Joe's clams in garlic butter, and said she would like to try them. I've never much cared for clams - although I don't remember the last time I tried one that wasn't fried - but I didn't mind making them for her, and I promised I would try them. I picked up a one pound box at TJ's for $4.99. 

The frozen clams come in a little plastic tray with instructions for microwaving and stove top cooking. Obviously I wasn't going to microwave them. I dumped them in my Le Creuset pot and, after scraping the last remnants of the frozen garlic butter off the plastic, decided it needed more butter and garlic. (Really, is there such a thing as too much butter or garlic?) So I added a little bit more of each to the pot. 

They cooked in about seven minutes and I emptied them into a bowl, setting a few slices of bread on top. Elizabeth liked them; I only tried one. It wasn't bad - much better than any fried clam strip I have ever tried. The clam itself was actually pretty tasty. But the broth was incredibly salty. There might have been sand in there, too. As I wrote, I had added extra butter - I don't want to think about how salty it would have tasted without that.  

After Elizabeth was done with the clams I tried a couple slices of bread with the broth. It's not for me. I will make these again for her if she wants, but I wouldn't mind making clams with my own recipe to see how they turn out. Especially now that I know clams are better when they aren't fried. Who'd a thunk it?

1 comment:

Liz said...

There is no such thing as too much butter.